Monday, May 4, 2015

Altared Book

I have been working on this assignment literally since I was first introduced to it at the beginning of the Spring 2015 semester  Here is the final results of all of my hard work, time, and effort.  The book itself is an overall compilation of class projects; side projects; favorite images, quotes, and ideas; and is hugely a representation of the individual through multiple perspectives.

The Surprise....
I went ahead and actually altered a book.  In the begining of the semester I argued that I did not want to do an altered book on an actual book, because I didn't think it would be wise with books on the verge of becoming obsolete.  I had a conversation with someone that pissed me off bad enough for me to decide to go ahead and destroy a book for the altered book assignment.  The conversation was with a lady, who despite the fact that she can speak English always forces people to speak Spanish to her.  I am the kind of person who loves learning new languages and becoming involved in cultures outside of my own.  The thing that bothered me about this conversation is the fact that the lady tries to force her culture on others without showing any interest in their culture.  The book that I destroyed for his was a translation book from Spanish to English and English to Spanish.  The inside portion of both the front and back covers are decorated with the shredded pages of the translation book.

The Front & Back Covers...

I wanted to keep the back cover simple to represent my more relaxed side and I put a bunch of different things on the front cover to represent the chaos that is life.   The tree on the cover page is a representation of the constant growing and learning we do in our lives.  I made the tree out of a brown paper bag and dried rose petals to give it more of a natural feel.   The rest of the cover page is some of my favorite quotes, words, and images. The back cover only has two quotes, a handmade flower (made out of two different kinds of studs), and a vinyl sticker of a phoenix with my name.  The phoenix is meant to represent the overcoming of different goals and growth. 














16 pages total





No comments:

Post a Comment