Monday, March 23, 2015

The Flavor of Escargot Sounds Like Forest




For this project, I was supposed to try a food that I have never tried before and explain how that food tastes through sound.  The food item I decided to try was escargot prepared by the head chef at Ivy Tech.  I believe it is important to try new things, because they open up whole new realms of possibility for an individual.  However, snail was not on the top of my list of new things to try.  It ended up tasting pretty good, just different from what I am used to eating.  The initial burst of flavor I got was garlic, but after that first taste of garlic it started to taste earthy.  It was very similar to eating a mushroom, except the it had more of an earthy/forest taste to it.  I know this sounds crazy, but it is almost like a mixture of dirt, leaves, air, and water.  Eating snail is like standing in a forest just breathing in the air.  It's hard to capture into words.  I probably won't ever be eating snail again. but it was an interesting and valuable experience in  my opinion.

The recording above was taken at West Side Park in Greenwood by the creek bed.  I wanted the sounds to represent the flavors I tasted in the snail; like dirt, water, air, and leaves.  The crunching noise in the background is where I picked up leaves and crushed them in my hands,  the water sound is from the movement of the creek, and I caught little bits of the wind picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment